Spin Master, a leading global children’s entertainment company and owner of the world-famous Rubik’s Cube, is launching a year-long campaign dedicated to the iconic toy during its 50th anniversary year.
A symbol of problem solving, intelligence, creativity and perseverance, the Rubik’s Cube will be celebrated with a multifaceted, year-long marketing campaign themed ‘Make Your Move’, to inspire the next generation of problem solvers. The milestone year will include new launches and product collaborations, and the debut of an all-new mobile game Rubik’s Match.
“The Rubik’s Cube is an iconic puzzle that has permeated pop culture, captivating millions of curious minds for generations,” said Doug Wadleigh, Spin Master’s President of Toys. “As we celebrate this remarkable milestone, we will honor the Rubik’s Cube’s enduring global impact, inspiring new generations to explore the cube and encouraging past generations to rediscover it.”
One in every seven people in the world have played with the Rubik’s Cube, but most people fall short on completing the elusive solve. The ‘Make Your Move’ campaign sets out to change that, focused on inspiring solvers.
“The Rubik’s Cube is a piece of art,” said Professor Ernő Rubik. “It comes to life when we attempt to discover our own solutions to the vast complexity of the challenge. It speaks to the universal values in human nature: curiosity, perseverance, and ingenuity. Recognizing the Cube’s 50th anniversary is a celebration of these eternal values.”
Spin Master will also introduce new Rubik’s Cube products that include:
- Rubik’s 50th Anniversary Retro Cube – Displayed in a replica of the 1980s issue packaging, this blast from the past is decorated with the original Rubik’s Logo and classic-colored stickers.
- Rubik’s Sensory Cube – Feel the colors with the Rubik’s Sensory Cube! Featuring a unique 3×3 cube that has a distinguishable tactile shape for each color of the cube. Designed to be inclusive for the visually impaired community, even the packaging will include braille. This cube will be launched in partnership with the National Federation of the Blind.
- Rubik’s Gridlock Board Game – A new challenge, to test flexible thinking and problem-solving skills. With blocks in place, the objective is to fit all of the pieces onto the board to solve each puzzle.
- Rubik’s Connected X – Bridging together the physical and digital world of solving the Connected X is a Bluetooth-enabled 3×3 cube. Cubers can learn and improve cubing skills through the app by tracking, recording, and timing their solve. Connect with friends through the app to go head-to-head to see who is the faster cuber!
- Rubik’s Cubers – Bringing your favorite characters to the Rubik’s Cube with Rubik’s Cubers. Collect, solve, and display these puzzle characters, including Batman, Ironman, Spiderman, and Black Panther.
- Rubik’s 3×3 Speed Cube – Elevate your solving skills to the next level with the new 3×3 Speed Cube. Redesigned for competition use, the Speed Cube features sticker-less panels, internal magnets for smooth movements, and adjustable tensions to create a customized cube experience.
Limited-edition collaborations will also be available throughout the course of the year, from pop culture giants like Barbie, Stranger Things, Wednesday Addams and Hello Kitty to famous names like Beatles Yellow Submarine, the Grateful Dead, Albert Einstein and Mr. Brainwash and notable brands including Levi’s, NBALAB, U.S. Soccer, Mercedes Benz, Heelys, Tetris, and G Fuel.
Later this year, Spin Master’s Digital Games creative centre will leverage the Rubik’s Cube intellectual property, bringing it into the casual gaming space with the introduction of Rubik’s Match, a mobile game developed by Nørdlight Games, Spin Master’s Stockholm-based digital game studio. Honoring the Rubik’s Cube legacy of challenging and entertaining minds worldwide, the mobile game will deliver a fresh 3D take on the match-3 game genre. Designed for the problem solver and perfect for those who cherish mental gymnastics, the game combines the joy of puzzle-solving with the creative potential of building and personalization.