Summer is almost here and PBS KIDS wants to take young audiences and their families on a Summer full of adventures with new episodes, movies, and games.
From new movies from ALMA’S WAY, MOLLY OF DENALI, and READY JET GO!, debuting episodes from newest series WORK IT OUT WOMBATS! and ROSIE’S RULES, to the launch of a new podcast, KEYSHAWN SOLVES IT, and more, there’s so much on tap to help young audiences spark their curiosity, have fun, and learn and grow this summer.
“Summer is a perfect time for families to play and discover together, and we’re so excited to present brand-new content, activities, and resources to help inspire and support them in all their exploration this season”, said Sara DeWitt, Senior Vice President and General Manager, PBS KIDS. “From adventuring with friends like Alma and Molly to getting inspired to explore something new, PBS KIDS is a trusted resource for supporting summer fun and learning, wherever kids and families are”.
And for families who love to listen together, a new podcast from GBH Kids and distribution partner PRX, KEYSHAWN SOLVES IT, is set to launch on May 29. Created and executive produced by Ed Jenkins and executive produced by Dorothea Gillim, the free, serialized podcast is about a 10-year-old African-American boy who inherits a set of keys that he uses to help solve the mystery of disappearing bikes in his North Minneapolis neighborhood. It also introduces young listeners to Juneteenth and its origins while reinforcing important lessons that are “keys to success,” such as resilience, self-worth, and responsibility. The podcast will include 8 episodes and will roll out twice weekly on the PBS KIDS Video App, PBS KIDS YouTube channel, and all major podcasting platforms. Listen to the trailer here.
The summer fun continues with:
- Alma Goes to Puerto Rico, an hour-long movie from ALMA’S WAY that follows Alma as she travels to Puerto Rico with her family to celebrate her Bisabuela’s 100th birthday. She searches for the perfect birthday present, explores the San Juan and Loíza areas, and dances Bomba on the beach, all while learning even more about Puerto Rico and her heritage (June 5).
- New episodes from ROSIE’S RULES (June 26).
- Wise Raven & Old Crow, a one-hour MOLLY OF DENALI movie that follows Molly and her family as they embark on a river trip to a traditional Gwich’in village to honor their late Grandma Catherine. Getting there won’t be easy, so Molly must connect with her culture and listen to the land to get everyone there safely (July 10).
- Space Camp a brand-new, out-of-this-world, feature-length film from READY JET GO!, timed to the anniversary of the moon landing (July 20).
- New episodes from WORK IT OUT WOMBATS! (July 24).
New games coming this summer include:
- Boom Boom Bah / ¡Tutún Pà! from ALMA’S WAY. Make music with Alma and her family in Puerto Rico! An update to this bilingual game brings new decorations, songs and instruments added for players to make remixes with Alma, Junior, and Prima Yvette.
- Rosie Care from ROSIE’S RULES. Join Rosie as she helps with important care-taking jobs and routines – no job is too small! Take care of Dragon the bunny, help Iggy get ready for bed, water Tía’s jalapeño plant, pet Gatita, and more. Players will use tools and supplies to learn about the difference between needs and wants – all while keeping everyone happy and healthy.
- Elmo and Grover’s Farm Time Fun from SESAME STREET. Explore the farm with Elmo and Grover! Learn about farm life as you help them plant and harvest food, sort animals, and even make a farm stand band!
Families can also visit pbskidsforparents.org/summer for activities and everyday fun, including resources for parents and caregivers to help extend the learning beyond the classroom this summer. Parents can stream PBS KIDS for free anytime, whether at home or on the go.