A collection of sensational new books and comics expand the world of The Jim Henson Company’s critically-acclaimed series, The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, available now for the holiday season
Following the broad critical acclaim for The Jim Henson Company’s ten-episode epic fantasy adventure The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, which debuted this fall on Netflix, fans can become further immersed in the lore, legends, heroes and villains of the expansive world of Thra with a diverse range of newly released books and comics available now, in time for the gift-giving season!
Several new titles from Penguin Random House and Insight Editions are available at book retailers across the U.S., offering something for everyone—from new fans looking to learn more about their favorite characters from the series, to longtime fans wanting to delve further into the rich canon of this pop culture phenomenon, to anyone eager to discover the behind-the-scenes magic that brought the many creatures of Thra to life.
From Penguin Random House are three books by J.M. Lee, a staff writer on The Dark Crystal, Age of Resistance. Lee, who holds a degree in linguistics, also created the Podling language featured in the Netflix show. He is the author of a four-book prequel series that ties directly into the plot and setting for the Netflix series, as well as several other Dark Crystal tie-ins. The novels came about after Lee won a writing contest co-hosted by Penguin and The Jim Henson Company—The Dark Crystal Author Quest. New titles from Lee this season include:
- Heroes of the Resistance: A Guide to the Characters of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. This visual character guide, featuring stunning full-color photos from the show, will have readers feeling as knowledgeable about the world of Thra and its inhabitants as the wise and all-knowing Aughra.
- Aughra’s Wisdom of Thra. A 40-page companion gift book, with lush illustrations by artist Cory Godbey, that transports readers into the legends and lore of The Dark Crystal’s expansive mythology. Aughra is a feisty three-and-a-half-foot creature with ram horns, a detachable eye, and secrets to an entire fantasy universe, who guides readers with wisdom beyond this realm and advice only she can give.
- Flames of the Dark Crystal. Now available in paperback and Illustrated by Cory Godbey, this is the fourth installment in the acclaimed four-book prequel series. Shadows of the Dark Crystal, Song of the Dark Crystal, Tides of the Dark Crystal, and Flames of the Dark Crystal, dive into the culture of the Gelfling and how they work together across clans to resist the evil Skeksis.
From Insight Editions:
- The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance: Inside the Epic Return to Thra. Written by Daniel Wallace, with a foreword by executive producer Lisa Henson, this book reveals the incredible creative process behind the new series—how Jim Henson’s Creature Shop™, legendary character and costume designer Brian Froud, and director Louis Leterrier brought Thra and its characters to life alongside the many artists and puppeteers who are continuing the legacy of the original film. Filled with exclusive cast and crew interviews, concept art, set photography, puppet designs, and more, this is the definitive exploration of The Jim Henson Company’s epic return to Thra. Available at IndieBound, Barnes & Noble, and Amazon.
And for comic book fans, from Boom! Studios:
- Jim Henson’s The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, a 12-issue official prequel to the Netflix series. Return to another world, another time, Before the Age of Wonder. The Skeksis rein over Thra, but there are distant echoes of rebellion. Gelfling and unlikely heroes emerge to champion what is good and just, but their paths to legend started long ago. Epic tales of adventure, magic, and mystery send us back in time to the Age of Resistance to witness the untold histories that forged these protectors of Thra. Based on a story by The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance series writers, Will Matthews & Jeffery Addiss, writer Nicole Andelfinger (Lumberjanes ) and Matias Basla ( Sparrowhawk ) tell the tale of the mighty Ordon and a young Fara on an impossible quest. An all-new arc from writer Adam Cesare and artist French Carlomagno spotlighting Hup, the heroic Podling, debuts on January 15, 2020. Print copies of the series are available at local comic book shops (comicshoplocator.com) or the BOOM! Studios webstore. Digital copies can be purchased from content providers, including comiXology, iBooks, Google Play, and Madefire.